Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Wipe your devices

Like many IT folks, I've picked up used systems and media that contained data.

In my case, I've had everything from departmental mail servers to personal systems containing term papers and billing information pass through my hands. In each case, I carefully wiped the machine or drive before doing anything else with it.

What happens when it goes the other way? Dale Glass's network camera is a great example. He set up the camera to email him when it detected motion, then returned the camera to the retailer. The retailer didn't wipe it, the family that bought it didn't wipe the configuration, and Mr. Glass received email with video of the family.

Here's your reminder to wipe devices when they leave your care - and to check new ones when they come in!

No comments: