Even if you weren't effected by the 365Main power outage, you should read the status update posted by their president.
There are a few things to note here:
- The entire event is broken down with technical detail.
- Details of problem solving, maintenance, and testing are all available and relatively transparent - thus providing customers with detail about the event.
- The tone is professional and communicates issues and events clearly.
- Customers are reminded of what recompense their contract provides for them.
- There is a clearly explained troubleshooting process.
- There is a clearly explained plan to prevent future issues.
- The data is being made available to other data centers to help prevent similar issues elsewhere - thus giving back to the community.
If you are ever in a recovery situation, this is a great example of after action communication to follow.
On the technical side - remember that simply having backup power may not be enough - many of the customers who had power interrupted would have continued to function if they had dedicated UPS units - but without power to their network uplinks, they might not have been able to see the outside world, even if they had power to the machines themselves.