Thursday, May 13, 2010

Facebook Friend Suggestions - Not a Virus!

Facebook status updates are quickly being populated with warnings that the suggest a friend notes that are appearing in users inboxes are virus driven. They're not - in fact, Facebook has released a notice that AllFacebook.com posted stating

"This is neither a bug nor a virus, and the “Virus Alert” status update is incorrect. Friend suggestions are now mutual and will appear for both users involved. That is, if I suggest that one person become friends with another, both the person I suggested and the person to whom I sent the suggestion will receive the notification."
The fact that the Facebook populace quickly communicates about a potential issue is good - the fact that false information is spreading quickly is not as good - but I'd rather my users avoid a fake virus than not avoid a real one.

No comments: