I've been receiving an increasing number of calls about Vundo infected systems. Vundo is an adware trojan, with a nasty habit of infecting machines with downlevel Java versions. As is often the case, many users either ignore the Java auto-updater, or are unaware that Java needs to be updated.
A quick and easy way to check is to visit the Java Tester at http://www.javatester.org/version.html. Your users need to be running a version higher than 22.214.171.124 (also known as version 5.0 release 7) .
Java versions can also be checked from the Control Panel by opening the Java panel.
Finally, users can also check each browser individually by manually checking their plugins.
- Firefox can be checked by going to Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins.
- Internet Explorer is uglier - Tools -> Manage Add-Ons will leave you with a list that may include multiple Java versions.
- Popup ads
- Desktop background changes
- Screensaver changes
- Windows updates may be disabled
- Anti-malware and other security programs may be deleted or disable